The holiday season is quickly approaching and that means entertaining with friends and family. With kids in school, work and other demands who has time to prepare everything for the perfect party? If you are looking for a easy appetizer, then you can prepare this wonderful Crudite in less than 30 minutes and have it ready in 1 hour.
Just a couple of comments before we dive into the details.
- Traditional French Crudites do not include pickled vegetables. However, I typically only prepare a single vegetable or relish tray and like to include some pickled items for my guests.
- Similarly to the first point, I also like to include some crackers.
- Dip Mix – My favorite is May the Horse be with You Bacon Horseradish dip.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Leaf lettuce of your choice. I like to use Romaine.
- Raw vegetables such as grape tomatoes, carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers and radishes. It is not necessary to include all of these on your Crudite. I usually select from what looks best at the grocery and always opt for lots of color.
- Black olives and/or green olives
- Pickled veggies. I like okra and asparagus.
- Optional: Crackers
- Optional: Fresh rosemary sprigs. If you use these, you will need to have sprigs that are slightly “woody” instead of soft. As rosemary grows, the stem toward the ends is very soft. However, the lower stem portion, which is older, gets slightly “woody” or stiff. More on this later.
- Prepare Dip Mix as follows: Stir dip seasoning package into 1 cup of mayonnaise. Add one cup sour cream. Mix and chill in the refrigerator 1 to 2 hours.
- Wash all of your vegetables and pat dry.
- Arrange leaf lettuce around your vegetable tray.
- Add your favorite vegetables
- Optional – Prepare rosemary skewers (which takes a little more time). Notice in the lower part of the picture that the stem is darker or brown in color, whereas the top part of the sprig is a lighter color and more green. The darker area of the stem is harder and you can use this part to skewer your vegetables as follows: Using the woody rosemary sprigs, skewer one green olive, then black olive, then grape tomato. You can serve these on the side of the Crudite or you can stand a few up in the dip mix. The really nice thing is that the tomatoes will absorb the rosemary flavor. As guests eat the tomatoes from the skewer they are pleasantly surprised with the rosemary.
- Optional – add crackers if you are including this option.
At ArmadilloPepper.com, we can provide a gourmet flavor for all of your holiday entertaining without hours of preparation. You can select from a variety of dip mixes including Bacon Horseradish, Bacon and Onion, 6 Hot Pepper and more.