It is the end of the growing season which means zucchini and yellow squash are on the cheap right now. Squash is $0.99/pound at my local grocery. For a couple of bucks and just a small amount of pepper jelly or pepper relish you can be in business.
Often, the problem with fried squash is that the texture is way too soft. The key for crispy fried squash is cutting it into small “chunks”instead of slices. You will want to cut the pieces into 1/2” to 3/4″chunks. The small chunks combined with quickly deep frying results in a nice and crispy outside with a nice,firm texture on the inside.
This recipe is really simple and quick. You can use the fried squash as a side item with dinner or as an appetizer. The last time I made this it was the very first item that disappeared. You can try several different condiments including pepper jellies and various types of pepper relish.
- 2 small zucchini squash
- 1 small yellow squash
- Minorcan Datil Pepper Spice to taste (probably less than 2 teaspoons, but we will come to that later).
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- Serving condiment. We like to serve with pepper relish, pepper jelly and a chow-chow relish. My personal favorite is a spicy/hot chow-chow relish.
1. Cut the squash into into 1/2″ to 3/4″ pieces.
2. Combine the egg and milk in a bowl. Whisk thoroughly. Place a handful of squash in the mixture.
3. Mix the flour and cornmeal on a large pan or you can use wax paper. Spread out in a thin layer. Sprinkle the Minorcan Datil Pepper Spice over the top of the breading mixture. There is no need to measure. Just make sure you cover the breading lightly. This will give your squash a nice ‘bite”. The Minorcan spice is made with Datil Peppers and Seville Oranges. Yes, we do sell it in our store, but this is more than just a plug. This is a great, all-around spice that you can use on everything from meats to vegetables to popcorn.
4. Remove the squash from the egg and milk mixture, roll-around in the cornmeal/flour to cover all sides.
4. Heat a deep fryer to 375 degrees. Carefully lower the breaded squash into the deep fryer. It only takes 2 to 3 minutes to brown. Repeat the process for the remaining squash. NOTE: Prior to breading the squash each time, re-sprinkle the Minorcan Datil Pepper Spice over the breading.
5. Serve with your favorite condiment.