The next time you fire-up the Smoker for a pork butt or brisket, consider throwing some onions in the Smoker.Ingredients:
- Olive Oil
- Your favorite BBQ Rub or seasoning. I like to use Heartbreaking Dawns Memphis BBQ Dry Rub. It has a nice flavor with the salt, pepper, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, thyme, red pepper and dried habaneros. The peppers give it a faint, but nice kick.
- Vidalia Onion(s)
- Cut the top of the onion off. This is the hard part of the onion. Leave the bottom in tact.
- Remove the outer layer of skin and discard.
- Brush each onion in olive oil.
- Liberally sprinkle your favorite seasoning over each onion.
- Place the onions in your Smoker at 200 to 225 degrees.
- Smoke for 2 to 3 hours. Personally, I like to smoke closer to the 3 hours. Makes for a softer onion and more smoky flavor. Each smoker is different, so you may have to experiment a bit.
- Remove from the Smoker and slice.
We like to serve as a garnish on-top of whatever we smoked (ribs, pork roast, etc.). The flavor of these onions is just incredible. Personally, I can just snack on the smoked onions. It’s really easy and no extra work, so throw on some onions the next time you fire-up the Smoker.