Everyone’s had twice baked potatoes and for this recipe, we’re going to twice smoke the potatoes. This recipe is very simple. All of the instructions are here or watch our How to Make Twice Smoked Potatoes video below.
- 2 potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Kosher salt
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 green onions or 2 tbsp sweet onions
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 4 strips of cooked bacon
- Hot peppers. We are using 1/8 tsp dried Carolina Reaper peppers, but remember a little goes a long way. Carolina Reapers are the world’s hottest peppers. Pepper mash also works good in this recipe.
- First, wash and dry potatoes.
- Rub the skins with a little olive oil and then sprinkle on the Koshersalt.
- Set the smoker to 225 degrees. Smoke time will take about 2 hours. Note: If you don’t have 2 hours, you can partially cook the potatoes in the microwave to reduce the cook time by an hour or more.
- After 2 hours, use a fork to make sure the potatoes are done.
- Remove from the smoker, let cool for a few minutes and then slice each potato in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the flesh and set the skins aside while you make the potato filling.
- Combine the potato flesh, half-and-half, butter, peppers, onions, cheese and cooked bacon in a bowl and mash.
- Next, spoon the mixture back into the potato skins.
- Place the stuffed potatoes back in the smoker for 15 minutes or so, until the cheese is nicely melted.
- Remove from the smoker and serve. That’s all there is to it.